NewGeneforce
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Affiliates
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 144 on 4/12/2021, 3:11 am
Latest topics
» A Kingdom Built on the Trust of Slaves
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty6/13/2021, 8:21 pm by Genesis

» [BtTG] Rainbow Ruination
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty2/11/2021, 4:48 pm by Star Phoenix

» Myrr Saga: War of the Infernals
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty2/11/2021, 2:55 pm by Zazul

» [Fakemon] Solo Adventure: Storming Lore (Zazul/Luna RP)
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty12/10/2020, 10:41 pm by Zazul

» [My Hero Academia] Symbols of Justice
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty10/11/2020, 4:18 pm by Zazul

» Geneforce Chronicles: Psychic Warfare.
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty7/14/2020, 9:46 am by Genesis

» The Human/Demon Cultural Exchange Program
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty6/10/2020, 10:43 am by Genesis

» [My Hero Academia] Rise of the New Generation!
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty6/7/2020, 3:37 pm by Star Phoenix

» His Daughter's Tower
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty6/7/2020, 3:29 pm by Star Phoenix

» [My Hero Academia] SAVE School: My Villain Academia
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty6/2/2020, 6:49 am by Star Phoenix

» Aura Wake: Starlight Sonata
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty5/22/2020, 10:43 am by Maxwell

» The God-Killer Chronicles
How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty3/28/2020, 9:22 pm by Star Phoenix

Statistics
We have 44 registered users
The newest registered user is Minniboe

Our users have posted a total of 15952 messages in 324 subjects
Gallery

How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty

How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe?

4 posters

Go down

How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe?

Post by Genesis 11/25/2013, 4:10 pm

A question that me and Rocky have been working hard to answer, we worked on a bit of a list a few nights ago that we think is perfectly fine. I decided to post it here to see what people thought about it and so we have a basic understanding of how things work.

Types of Power:

Life force: The basic energy building block that makes up everything. All living things create this energy.  Everyone has it; it was questioned long ago and discovered and named, thus later becoming something that could be measured (why do we live, what is keeping us alive, etc.).  Everyone is born with this Life force.  Factors are generated through the complexity of this force, as it varies with the individual and can work with or against them (faster regeneration without healing, etc.)

Energy: The byproduct of changing Life force into a more usable means, has a finite amount per person, some have more than others. Can only be used with intense training and mastering (manipulation + concentracion).  Choosing to expand upon one’s powers is ideal, but one cannot alter their powers - you are stuck with it for the rest of your life, like it or not (powers choose user).  The result of not using powers as ritual practice, will result in the difficulty to perform basic energy manipulation techniques over the course of time; likewise, frequent use will allow the user to be comfortable with his/her energy output, and additionally, more than frequent use will allow easier practices and simplicity among tasks.
Raw: Basically pushing energy outwards, such as a ball of energy used as a projectile. Prone to explosions. Can be as big as a planet size energy ball but is very unstable.
Refined: Taking the raw energy and manipulating it again, enables flight and better attacks. More impact and less boom unless specifically designated to explode. (Example: Genecanon. Bio-electric field.)

Magic: Different than energy, magic is something completely different. Magic is about drawing on life force energy, not manipulating it. Magic has set rules it needs to follow.
1. You can not make something from nothing.
2. You can create something if you use enough life force energy.
3. The stronger the spell, the more life energy is needed.
Magic is about calling on latent abilities in life energy. Every being has a specific element/trait that their energy is proficient in. Some people have two. Magic does not really on the physical being of the user, all that matters is the well of life force energy they have. An 80 year old man who has practiced magic all his life can easily defeat a 20 year old who has just started practicing. Incantations can also be made in the users mind if they are skilled enough. This requires a lot of concentration and focus. Not very effective in combat. Healing magic is said to be one of the most difficult to master as it is about taking life force energy from one person and adding it to another to recover from a wound or damage. If a user uses or tries to use more energy than they have, they will burn out, resulting in physical damage and could lead to damage to life force energy usage in the future. Some mages develop hand signs to help them focus their energy for larger output. All mages need a catalyst to help control their energy in spells. IE: A staff.

If you have any comments or questions, feel free to ask them down bellow.
Genesis
Genesis
Founder Admin
Founder Admin

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

https://newgeneforce.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty Re: How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe?

Post by Blastion 11/26/2013, 3:32 pm

So, does the Life Force have to come from yourself? Because as you're aware of my characters, I use a world where people get their powers as a biproduct of scientific experimentations. Depending on the experiment, they may control their abilities through your version of Energy, where it gets easier and more natural over time.

Although, for some others, they use what I refer to as Magic by converting and utilizing the Mana [or Life Energy, in your case Life Force] around them instead of their own.

Thoughts?
Blastion
Blastion
Posting and Loving it
Posting and Loving it

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe? Empty Re: How do Powers Work In the Geneforce Universe?

Post by Genesis 11/26/2013, 3:46 pm

Life force does come from your own body, I thought we put a part in there about what your asking but I guess we never actually wrote it down. Some people (EX: Genesis) can pull life force energy from around them.
Genesis
Genesis
Founder Admin
Founder Admin

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky 11/30/2013, 1:31 am

I WAS WONDERING WHEN YOU WERE GONNA POST THIS…
Good place for it… meh…?  I don't know if this should either be here or in some other creative port.  This way, for those like Blastion, who have different takes on the whole energy sort, either in the form of magic or divine gift or whatever, we can define all terms for every universe and players in new RPGs can be linked back to a page that basically says, "this is the way this world works" and so on.
Yes, this is an issue with a multitude of beings coming from all kinds of worlds (aka. TT in the Adventure Squadron is a freakin' time goddess dropped from the universe of weirdness and thus she had divine power…), boundaries may or may not be disabled depending upon the RP owner/creator(s).  I think this idea should now be set for all major RPs (or should I say, ones that are taken seriously or are in canon).  But I don't know how many agree.  ^^;
Rocky
Rocky
Hero Admin
Hero Admin

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Blastion 11/30/2013, 1:45 am

I agree with RKRobot.
In fact, how about we put in the RPG Section a "Format" Thread or Section?
This way when someone starts an RP they can say at the top of the post "RPG Format: Geneforce Standard", "RPG Format: Medusa Galaxy" or "RPG Format: Free For All", "RPG Format: Powerless" etc etc

This way RP'ers can see the world's default power format.

While this may not be required at all since people explain their worlds anyway, it may be useful if someone wants to start an RP with the same set of rules as another RP, but wants to make it slightly different, or even set up a main story that just so happens in the same RP but in another part of it's world.
Blastion
Blastion
Posting and Loving it
Posting and Loving it

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Genesis 11/30/2013, 2:48 am

All interesting Ideas, but if I could also offer a compromise as well. I do like the idea of different ways that powers work in different universes since different canons and all, for example all my Rps/stories/and comics follow the above power idea, as you have said before some follow different. So I will allow people to make their own guidelines as to how powers work in their universes/rps, but I would like to request you keep what I have above as Kinda a guideline. When me and rocky worked on this before, we compared almost everything from both universe and found this to be a decent fundamental guide for how things worked so if you have a different take on it, feel free to change what you need to but keep the core ideas the same since they can be used to explain almost everything needed. I hope I am making sense as I type this.
Genesis
Genesis
Founder Admin
Founder Admin

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Phoenix 12/9/2013, 5:48 pm

I suppose this topic was an inevitability. But here's something to consider: biological abilities. By this, I mean genetic traits that a race of beings acquires as a result of adapting to their environments, like how horned lizards shoot blood from their eyes or how Malaysian ants explode. After all, not everyone relies on the supernatural as their power. Where would such evolutionary capabilities fall in this life-force system?

In addition, life-force is, by your definition, "The basic energy building block that makes up everything. All living things create this energy." Yet, I believe one of Zazul's races, the Necrals, are essentially born as dead beings. Therefore, would they be able to use life-force energy, seeing as they are technically dead. And although we never quite completed it, the 4th episode in the Geneforce Next Generation RP's had featured shinigami and death gods. Would there be an equivalent "death-force" for such cases? In addition, consider Ray's SABERs. From what I can recall, SABERs were originally digital beings, so how would life-force affect them?

And from what I'm interpreting in this thread, life-force can be divided into raw or refined energy manipulation or magic. However, where would psionic/psychic, ethereal or spiritual beings come into play? Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't really seem like the three I've listed above can fit neatly into either energy manipulation or magic?

Sorry if I'm being a pain, but I'd just like to ensure that this doesn't leave anyone out, you know?
Star Phoenix
Star Phoenix
Elite Uber Fan
Elite Uber Fan

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

http://bisharpcreed.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky 12/9/2013, 6:02 pm

You make an extremely good point.  While I've not really played too much with those species, or know much about them, I'm glad somebody does other than the original owners!  ^_^;

The word "life" force implies living things.
Perhaps we can come up with an alternate version for the "dead" or "not referred to as living" part?

This alternate can also refer to the New Matter since they're just combined elements in the universe that became sentient.  They're not exactly living.

UNLESS he means that the world "living" implies that you are sentient which as long as you are a being with thoughts and feelings or a conscience, that should be enough.  (Including plants, animals, robots/AI, etc.)

Also, not everything has to abide by these 3 "How Geneforce Works" stuff.  We've all got a ton of different universes and how we prefer to put things.  I personally enjoy putting science and technological advancements to make things work, but then you got the occasional magical being that makes absolutely no sense in that context.  We can always add more to these three rules to make them MULTIVERSAL, but for now, this seems Universal (meaning fitting one or two universes).
Rocky
Rocky
Hero Admin
Hero Admin

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Phoenix 12/9/2013, 6:35 pm

The concept of magic has sometimes been called extremely advanced technology, which may seem ludicrous to a more primitive culture, but to a society with a higher consciousness, that might make perfect sense. Thing is, for a set of guidelines for superpowers, you'll want them to be restrictive enough not to destroy that universe's laws of physics, but free enough to allow diversity.

Therefore, I'm also not sure I understand why energy manipulation seems so restrictive? By "cannot be altered", is it meant that an individual's energy cannot be changed by internal forces or external forces? Let's say an individual transcended to become a demigod or something along those lines. Would becoming a divine figure not change his energy? Or would it remain the same as it was previously? I recall on one of the older forums, there was a roleplay wherein the characters made deals with a demon for greater power. If such an event were to hypothetically happen in the Geneforce universe, would the dealed individuals pyrokinesis stay pyrokinesis? Or would it become hell-fire manipulation?

And, yeah, I know this only applies to the GU, but if it is a "neutral" ground in terms of powers, then should it not be as versatile as possible?
Star Phoenix
Star Phoenix
Elite Uber Fan
Elite Uber Fan

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky 12/9/2013, 7:17 pm

Right, right.  I getcha.
I think we designed this to be so restrictive because we didn't want any one thing to be god-level.  The concept of gods is a really powerful thing, as I'm playing around with it myself, but it's certainly something we can look into.
I like the idea of having few omnipresent figures hanging around because there is a way to do it right in these kinds of stories (ie. they don't really fight, they don't die, yadda yadda yadda).  But if we transcend any kind of character into this demigod or godlike state, would that be considered "god modding"?  That character or thing has to have a whole new set of rules and weaknesses that it needs to follow, such as sacrificing its humanity, or maybe even having too much emotion!

I would prefer for this to be it's own section, or give it a subsection under Life Force.
Lemme make a quick list of what I would like that to address, then.
Is this a god or a demon?
Does gender or state of being matter (species)?
What makes it a god or demon?
Why is it a god or demon?
What does it do to claim or act as a god or demon?
Does the term have any meaning for it other than a title (like King, Queen, Princess, etc.)?
Is it just a figurehead or can it do something?
-What can it do?
-Why can it do that?
-Did something allow for that to happen?
 -If so, what is that something?
 -If not, how could it do that on its own?
-Is it restricted to just this, or can it do more than what it was meant to do?
Does this being have emotion/humanity?
Does this being have mortality?
Can it reproduce?
-Why?
-How?
-What does it mean when it does?
-Can it reproduce with anything or anyone?
-Can it reproduce by itself?
-Can the offspring be considered a god/demon upon birth?
  -If so, why?
  -If not, what does it have to do to reach that status?
Does this being fight?
-Is it supposed to fight?
-Why does it fight?
-Can it win or lose or does it often end its battles in a draw?
 -Are these battles internal or external?
Does this being want to be a god/demon?
Does this being like being a god/demon?
Does this being want to change its position and move up or down on the hierarchy?
-Is there even an hierarchy?
 -What does the hierarchy mean?
 -How does it work?
 -Is it transversal or only apply to a specific universe?
    -If restricted, why?
    -Can it be unrestricted?
    -How does it become free?
    -Should it be free?
    -If not restricted, why can it move freely between dimensions/universes?
    -Is there anything that can restrict it?
Can this god/demon be created by others who are not of this status?
-Why?
-Why not?
Was this being once a mortal?
-How did it achieve godlihood/demonhood?
-Under what physical/emotional/biological/environmental/psychological conditions did this change occur?
-Can it be reversed?
  -Why?
  -How?
  -Is the reversing process easy or difficult?
  -Is the reversing process irreversible?
-Is the transformation simple or complex?
-Is it ritual?
 -What is the ritual like?
-Is it absolutely necessary to become this by a certain point in time?

OKAY.
I'M DONE FOR NOW.
Anybody have anything to add?
(I can add this to the Story Guidelines post if you want me to.)
Rocky
Rocky
Hero Admin
Hero Admin

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Phoenix 12/9/2013, 8:38 pm

Sorry if I'm being stressful. >_< I just really like world-building... I do understand the need for guidelines such as these. In the past and even on here, there has been a problem concerning power levels, in which everyone just got into an all-out slugfest of whose powers can be more overpowered and junk like that. I'm not blaming anyone for doing so, as I myself have mostly likely done so in the past, and I'm sure we'd all like to see our respective protagonists in the spotlight. I do like what you have with Tropic's Sky King, who seems to never quite interfere with Tropic's affairs, but guarding them nonetheless.

I'm primarily asking about the demigods and related beings because I think Genesis is a demigod of sorts? I may be incorrect, but he is the child of two gods, correct...? But I do know we have several demon/demonic characters here...
Star Phoenix
Star Phoenix
Elite Uber Fan
Elite Uber Fan

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Genesis 12/9/2013, 8:59 pm

I probably should have mentioned earlier that this is still a work in progress. As for what defines a thing to be able to have life force, I am going to have to go with what Rocky said. If it is conscious, self aware, and has the basic signs of life then it is technically alive. As for the energy question, the basis behind it is that all living creatures have one to two forms of energy at their disposal. Wind, Fire, Water, Plasma, Other. Things like this is what I was trying to portray. Ascending is still staying in this same range. (Going from fire to hellfire). This would fall into a category I call "Power Evolution" or the basic idea that if one can go past the limits of their initial energy, they can reach a new level. I hope I answered most of the questions. If not I am sorry but I just kinda skimmed through everything since I did not feel like reading a lot right now. I have been feeling tired lately but if you have more questions I will reply as soon as I can.
Genesis
Genesis
Founder Admin
Founder Admin

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky 12/9/2013, 9:12 pm

Bro.  Bro.  Bro.  You couldn't really stress me out if you tried!  XD  Don't worry about it!  ^w^  I completely understand your desire to do some good ol' fashioned world building (because everyone - and I mean every everlasting being that's ever joined the site - could use it).  DON'T LIE TO YOURSELVES, YOU ALL KNOW IT!

I'm just addicted to guidelines lately because I'm really tired of not having stability in the ranks, even in my own verse.  >_<;  I also agree that having random battles and trying to trump everybody is old hat and shouldn't really be done anymore without context.  Battles are fine to have for funsies, but have them at least be arranged tournament style or something! But anyway, I do also agree that there can never be "one true protagonist" for everybody combined.  (Unless we all have some kind of say in that and somehow it gets created, but judging how well the species of the villain went in our last attempt to make something big, it's definitely not gonna happen.  ^_^; )
I'm glad you like it so far, but the issues I need to address are still in the works (I was hoping to go over that in TMS, but we'll see).

Also, very knowledgable post, Gen.  Thank you for some of that insight!  Get some rest!!
I asked him this and (correct be if I'm wrong buddy!) his parents are just powerful mages.  They even have pictures as of a couple months ago!  Genesis is a reincarnated mage of light and wind (so I guess we really should go over reincarnation then too...).  His true soul is not fully rested, and that is why he continues on with his many lives, Genesis is just his current one (think ATLA).

As far as demons go, let's try to get some kind of common rule among them.  Whoever has a demon character should please put input into this kind of thing.  I would if my one defunct story actually mattered anymore.  XD  I can speak from experience though, by saying that my old demon characters did have some kind of hierarchy where there was a Big Bad and some underlings, who had underlings of their own.  This big demon also had kids.  And I think was also a time god (what is with me and time gods...).  So from that information I can gather that demons can have powers, can reproduce, and maintain a level of respect for one another and collaborate.  Some others might just be ruthless, ruleless creatures, though, so I can't say the same for all of them.  Can we categorize them?

Category 1: Top dog; the big boss
Category 2: Direct contact with big boss; advisor type; highest level of underling
And so on...  This should also work for gods, angels, demis, or whatever.  Don't mages have levels anyway?  Like high priest or something?  We can put the levels under the magic section because it might involve the manipulation of power and people.
Rocky
Rocky
Hero Admin
Hero Admin

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Phoenix 12/13/2013, 4:46 pm

Eh... whenever you have time to read the rest of my questions G, feel free to do so...

YAY WORLD BUILDING!! But just in general, world building and guidelines are nice to have, I think. And thanks for clearing up everything for me so far, Rocky!

As for the whole demons and categories thing... I think categorizing them like that is fine, because angels in christian theology have an ordering system based on their duties in heaven. Having similar arrangements for other high calibur creatures like gods and demis would make sense to me.
Star Phoenix
Star Phoenix
Elite Uber Fan
Elite Uber Fan

Character sheet
Pokemon RP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down